|Kannur is a city in Kannur district
in the Indian state of Kerala. This is the administrative headquarters of the District of Kannur. During British rule in India, Kannur was known by its Portuguese name Cannanore, which is still in fairly common usage.This is the largest city of North Malabar region. Kannur Municipality was established in 1867 and is one of the oldest municipalities in Kerala.According to the data compiled by the research firm Indicus Analytics,
Kannur is one of the ten best cities in India to live. The parameters set by this firm are in the field of health, education, environment, safety, public facilities and entertainment.St. Angelo Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India. It is situated by the Arabian Sea about 3 km from Kannur town. In 1507, the fort was besieged by the local ruler in the Siege of Cannanore ( 1507 ). The ownership of the fort has changed hands several times. In 1663, the Dutch captured it. They subsequently gave
the fort its present appearance and the original Portuguese fort was ultimately demolished. The Dutch sold the fort to the Arakkal royal family in 1772. During this time, the Arakkal sultanate began issuing coins.